As an all-volunteer organization, WID counts on the willingness of our members to participate on committees and in support of all our activities. Board members chair the committees where the work of our organization takes place. Committee chairs welcome the involvement of WID members for a variety of volunteer roles.
In the last 18 months, volunteer opportunities have been virtual, but that has not stopped us from making great strides in meeting the needs of our membership. Volunteering with WID – whether virtual or in-person – provides you a valuable opportunity to stay involved and connected with peers in the profession. We want this to be a rewarding experience for you!
NOTE: All volunteers must be current members of WID. No other requirements are needed.
How to volunteer with WID:
- Sign up here to submit your application. PLEASE SELECT AT LEAST TWO AREAS OF VOLUNTEER INTEREST.
- WID’s Volunteer Chair, Ann Louden, will be in touch to discuss your interests and match you to the appropriate committee.
- Once you are assigned to a committee, the committee leadership will contact you to explain the volunteer opportunities and your role and responsibilities.
- Your volunteer assignment will not exceed a few hours per month.
Benefits of volunteering:
- Meeting, collaborating with, and learning from the professionals of the WID membership in the greater New York City area.
- Sharing your expertise with WID and being recognized for your talents.
- Gaining a better appreciation of volunteering, especially beneficial if you engage volunteers in your own workplace.
- Building connections, never more important than during the isolation imposed by Covid.
Scope of volunteer opportunities for 2022-2023:
- Committee assignments as identified by the chair or co-chairs. These duties will be virtual until further notice.
- Participation in a one-off program as a speaker, an organizer, or a resource. These opportunities will be identified by leadership as needs arise.
Volunteer committee opportunities for 2022-2023
The Communications Committee is responsible for the yearly communications calendar, as well as creating and approving all content for e-blasts, newsletters, website and print material, and social media.
VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS: Writing and editing content for the website and newsletter.
VOLUNTEER SKILLS NEEDED: Writing, editing, and proofreading.
TIME REQUIREMENT: 4-5 hours per month, which includes virtually attending WID events.
The Membership Committee is responsible for attracting new members, retaining current members, and meeting WID’s goals for membership revenue.
1) Creating strategies to attract new members, and crafting e-solicits and promotional materials.
2) Retention of current members through outreach, renewal calls, and emails.
VOLUNTEER SKILLS NEEDED:
1) For acquisition: direct mail or e-solicitation writing experience.
2) For retention: communication skills, relationship building, and initiative.
TIME REQUIREMENT: 2-4 hours per month.
SPECIAL PROGRAMS COMMITTEE:
The Special Programs Committee is responsible for conceiving, planning, organizing and executing meaningful monthly programming with a goal of engaging entry-level to senior executive WID members. Emphasis is on sharing best practices, skill development, personal and career growth, networking and access to experts. Currently, events are virtual.
VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS: Arranging for program content, securing meeting resources, identifying sponsors, developing program logistics, drafting follow-up and thank you emails, developing registration communication, and any other duties consistent with virtual events. Programming will include webinars and networking events.
VOLUNTEER SKILLS NEEDED: Detail oriented, strong communicator, networking savvy, creativity, initiative and event ownership, ability to on-board and prep presenters/experts, logistics experience, and connections in the non-profit community.
TIME REQUIREMENT: 1 hour meeting quarterly plus varied hours to plan the event.
WHO CAN APPLY TO VOLUNTEER WITH WID?
Anyone who is a current WID member! Not a member yet? JOIN TODAY!