As a volunteer-led organization, WID relies on the talents and time of our membership. Members of our Board of Directors provide leadership to committees where much of the work of our organization takes place. From programming to recruiting new members, to developing appropriate methods of communication, committee chairs welcome the involvement of WID members for a variety of volunteer roles.
During this pandemic, volunteer opportunities will be virtual until we can resume meeting in person. But even with the limitations imposed by COVID, volunteering with WID will be rewarding and help you stay connected to your peers in the profession.
NOTE: All volunteers must be current members of WID. No other requirements are needed.
How to volunteer with WID:
- Sign up here to submit your application. Within a week of your applying, our Volunteer Chair, Ann Louden, will be in touch to match your skills to the appropriate committee. PLEASE SELECT AT LEAST TWO AREAS OF VOLUNTEER INTEREST.
- Once you are assigned to a committee, the committee chair will contact you to explain the volunteer opportunity and your role and responsibilities.
- You will be asked to volunteer a maximum of a few hours per month. We want this experience to be rewarding for you and beneficial to WID, so please be honest in letting your committee chair know how the responsibilities fit your interests.
Benefits of volunteering:
- Meeting, collaborating with and learning from the professionals of the WID membership in the greater New York City area.
- Sharing your expertise with WID and being recognized for your talents.
- Gaining a better appreciation of the process of volunteering, especially if you work with volunteers in your own career.
- Building important connections during this challenging and isolating time.
Scope of volunteer opportunities for 2020-21:
- Committee assignments to support the work of the committee as identified by the chair or co-chairs. These duties will be virtual and will likely involve work by phone and email, and occasionally require a Zoom collaboration.
- Individual assignments to participate in a one-off program as a speaker, an organizer, or a resource. These opportunities will be identified by leadership as needs arise.
The Communications Committee develops the communications calendar for the year; creates the approval content for e-blasts, newsletter, website, and print material; and manages social media.
VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS: Writing and editing content for the website and newsletter.
VOLUNTEER SKILLS NEEDED: Writing, editing, and proofreading.
TIME REQUIREMENT: 4-5 hours per month, which includes virtually attending WID events.
The Membership Committee has responsibility for meeting WID’s goals for membership revenue and new members to create a stable foundation for programming and operations.
1) Acquisition of members by creating strategies to attract new members, writing e-solicits, and promotional materials.
2) Retention of current members through outreach, renewal calls, and emails.
VOLUNTEER SKILLS NEEDED:
1) For acquisition, writing direct mail, or e-solicitation experience.
2) For retention, communication skills, and interest in relationship building and follow-up conversations.
TIME REQUIREMENT: 2-4 hours per month.
SPECIAL PROGRAMS COMMITTEE:
The Special Programs Committee is responsible for conceiving, planning, organizing, and executing meaningful monthly programming with a goal of engaging entry-level to senior executive WID members. Emphasis is on sharing best practices, skill development, personal and career growth, networking, and access to experts. In this current year, those events are virtual.
VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS: Arranging for program content, securing meeting resources, identifying sponsors, developing program logistics, drafting follow-up and thank you emails, developing text for registration, and any other duties consistent with virtual events. Programming will include webinars and networking events.
VOLUNTEER SKILLS NEEDED: Detail oriented, strong communicator, networking savvy, creativity, initiative and event ownership, ability to on-board and prep presenters/experts, logistics experience, and connections in the non-profit community.
TIME REQUIREMENT: 1-hour meeting quarterly plus varied hours to plan the event.
WHO CAN APPLY TO VOLUNTEER WITH WID?
Anyone who is a current WID member! Not a member yet? JOIN TODAY!